Who am I?
Abdullah Miniawy is 26 years old, Egyptian artist mainly known as
a writer, chanter & an actor who performed around the world shoulder to shoulder with great names notably headed by Erik Truffaz, and also performed in many prestigious festivals such as [festival d’Avignon E72].
His album Darraje with the Münich based trio Carl-Gari was selected by the prestigious NPR as one of best album of 2016. His vital projects are currently a mark in evoking a new theory in musicology.
Current projects : Le Cri du Caire, a contemporary jazz trio based in Paris, France, with Carl-Gari, a trio based in Munich, Germany, Abdullah Miniawy & HVAD , Abdullah Miniawy & Simo Cell.
In cinema : Miniawy composed many sound tracks for different films headed by cabaret crusade III by Wael Shawki, also sound tracks for short films , dance pieces & theater.
Recently he Performed/acted the main character in the Tunisian film Tlamess directed by Alaa dine Slim which was premiered for the first time in Cannes film festival E72.
The artist philosophical lyrics were sprayed over different outskirts during the Egyptian revolution in 2011, as well as many different regions around the world, notably headed by Yarmouk, Camp in Syria.
“I intended to stop making music during a walk in Alexandria 2013, but the screams out of an armored vehicle singing my lyrics made me change my mind.”
Latest interview/ Radio Nova
- 19th January 2021 - Théâtre Paul Eluard, Bezons (95) / with Erik
- 20 to 22th January 2021 - Confort Moderne, Poitiers / Residence with Simo
- 23rd January 2021 - Festival Vagamondes, Mulhouse (68)
- 30th January 2021 - Confort Moderne, Poitiers / Live with Simo
- 6th February - Constantine - Le Grand Orchestre du Tricot - Nanterre
- 14th February 2021 - Constantine - Le Grand Orchestre du Tricot
- 8-11 April 2021 - Festival Rewire 2021 on
- 16th April 2021 - Festival Mélanges Improbables, Langres (52) / trio
- 08th May 2021 - Lieu Unique, Nantes (44) / Live with HVAD
- 13th May 2021 - Jazz dans le Bocage, Rocles (03) / trio + Erik
- 20th May 2021 - Agora, Boulazac (24) / trio + Erik
- End May 2021 - Institut des Cultures d’Islam, Paris / trio
- 4th June 2021 - Copenhagen / Live with HVAD
- 2 or 9 July 2021 - Paris Jazz Festival, Parc Floral / trio + Erik ou Médéric
- 21th July 2021 - Festival Musique au Présent, Narbonne (11) / trio
- 7 August 2020 Abdullah Miniawy & Carlgari //IMPORT EXPORT
- 17-22 August 2020 Abdullah Miniawy & HVAD, Copenhagen// CLICK FESTIVAL
- 23-27 August 2020 Abdullah Miniawy & YOM, Paris/ Maison de la Musique de Nanterre
- 15th September 2020 Le Cri Du Caire, Corsica
- 24-26 September 2020 Abdullah Miniawy & Simo Cell, Nantes
- 2nd October 2020 - Le Quai, Angers (49) / Le cri du caire
- 7 October 2020 - Le Consulat, Paris 2020
- 9 October 2020 Abdullah Miniawy & Simo Cell
- 23rd October 2020 Abdullah Miniawy & Simo Cell
- 13 November 2020 Abdullah Miniawy & Simo Cell
- 6 November 2020 Le Cri Du Caire
- 21 November 2020 Le Cri Du Caire
- 28 November 2020 Abdullah Miniawy x Peter Corser
- Darraje best albums of the year NPR 2016.. more
- ‘if you’re looking for a discovery this year he’s Abdullah Miniawy ‘ telerama 2018
- Best deep listening tracks of the year Resident Advisor 2019.. more
- The show was born in a particular moment of my existence Le Telegramme 2019
- Abdullah Miniawy artist Chameleon RFI 2019 .. more
- ‘The Act of Falling From the 8th Floor is a gripping soundtrack to the inner despair not only of Egyptians, but anyone feeling bereft of hope in the modern world—a sound that keeps growing louder’ Pitch fork 2019.. more
- Far from being some ‘cultural exchange’ or anything as painfully Graceland-ian as that, The Act Of Falling From The 8th Floor is a collaboration that taps into a universally vital sense of personal fear. The quietus 2020. more
- Album of the year 2019 the quietus.. more
- The record is a meditative and provoking listen focused around a poem where Abdullah is the protagonist, jumping from the 8th floor of a building in Cairo. While falling he describes what he sees, painting a dark picture of Egyptian society. Venice Biennale 2019
- Shortlisted in 'Best Actor Award' nomination for the principal role of Tlamess ACC 2020.. more