Who am I?
Abdullah Miniawy is 26 years old, Egyptian artist mainly known as
a writer, chanter & an actor who performed around the world shoulder to shoulder with great names notably headed by Erik Truffaz, and also performed in many prestigious festivals such as [festival d’Avignon E72].
His album Darraje with the Münich based trio Carl-Gari was selected by the prestigious NPR as one of best album of 2016. His vital projects are currently a mark in evoking a new theory in musicology.
Current projects : Le Cri du Caire, a contemporary jazz trio based in Paris, France, with Carl-Gari, a trio based in Munich, Germany, Abdullah Miniawy & HVAD , Abdullah Miniawy & Simo Cell.
In cinema : Miniawy composed many sound tracks for different films headed by cabaret crusade III by Wael Shawki, also sound tracks for short films , dance pieces & theater.
Recently he Performed/acted the main character in the Tunisian film Tlamess directed by Alaa dine Slim which was premiered for the first time in Cannes film festival E72.
The artist philosophical lyrics were sprayed over different outskirts during the Egyptian revolution in 2011, as well as many different regions around the world, notably headed by Yarmouk, Camp in Syria.
“I intended to stop making music during a walk in Alexandria 2013, but the screams out of an armored vehicle singing my lyrics made me change my mind.”
- 5 April 2019 : Millau Jazz
- 27 April 2019 : 9B [djset]
- 3 May 2019 : Le Triton with Sigh-fire
- 9 May 2019 : Belgium [djset]
- 31 may 2019 : lighthouse festival Croatia with Carl-Gari
- 22 JUNE : Ard Festival Stuttgart
- 9 July 2019 : Festival Aux Heures d’Été, Nantes
- 10 July , Askip gallery, Nantes
- 13 July Les Suds, Arles
- 15 July 2019 the release of the act of falling down from the 8th floor LP
- 24 July, Dubai , Alserkal avenue
- 3 August 2019 : Gouvy Festival, Belgique
- 9 August Mens Alors [ Duo with Peter Corser ]
- 24th August 2019 Poitiers
- 1 September 2019 : atlas electronic, Morocco.
- 17 September 2019 : Cinéma LUX Tlamess film *Debate at Cean
- 23 September 2019 : Tlamess film *Debate at Saint-Maur
- 27 September 2019 : Jazz au chellah, Morocco.
- 12 October 2019 : Roma Europa Festival, Italie
- 17 October 2019 : Les Quinconces, scène nationale du Mans
- 18 October 2019 : Jazzèbre, Perpignan
- 19 October 2019 : Les Scènes du Jura, Scène nationale de Lons-le-Saunier
- 12 November 2019 : D'Jazz Nevers Festival
- 15 November 2019 - La Criée - Théâtre national de Marseille
- 16 November 2019 Théâtre Berthelot, Montreuil
- 20 November 2019 : L’Avant-Scène, Cognac
- 26 November, Théâtre des 13 vents Montpellier
- 28 November 2019 : Le Grand T - Théâtre de Loire-Atlantique, Nantes
- 29 November 2019 : Carré d’Argent, Pontchâteau
- 05 December 2019 Festival Les Nuits d’Orient, Dijon
- 06 December 2019 : Le Safran, scène conventionnée d’Amiens
- 07 December 2019 : Champigny-sur-Marne
- 10 December 2019 Théâtre des Cornouailles, Scène nationale de Quimper
- 12 December 2019 Festival No Border /Le Quartz, Scène nationale de Brest
- 18 January 2020 La Faïencerie, Creil
- 6th February 2020 Festival Les Sons d’Hiver
- 31st March 2020 Le Quai, Angers
- Darraje best albums of the year NPR 2016.. more
- ‘if you’re looking for a discovery this year he’s Abdullah Miniawy ‘ telerama 2018
- Best deep listening tracks of the year Resident Advisor 2019.. more
- The show was born in a particular moment of my existence Le Telegramme 2019
- Abdullah Miniawy artist Chameleon RFI 2019 .. more
- ‘The Act of Falling From the 8th Floor is a gripping soundtrack to the inner despair not only of Egyptians, but anyone feeling bereft of hope in the modern world—a sound that keeps growing louder’ Pitch fork 2019.. more
- Far from being some ‘cultural exchange’ or anything as painfully Graceland-ian as that, The Act Of Falling From The 8th Floor is a collaboration that taps into a universally vital sense of personal fear. The quietus 2020. more
- Album of the year 2019 the quietus.. more
- The record is a meditative and provoking listen focused around a poem where Abdullah is the protagonist, jumping from the 8th floor of a building in Cairo. While falling he describes what he sees, painting a dark picture of Egyptian society. Venice Biennale 2019
- Shortlisted in 'Best Actor Award' nomination for the principal role of Tlamess ACC 2020.. more